Category Archives: Windows 10

I'm a successful woman in tech — and I didn't complain to HR about the sexual harassment I've experienced

Donna Harris

Donna Harris is cofounder of 1776, a global startup incubator and seed fund headquartered in Washington, D.C. She can be reached via Twitter @dharrisindc.

In the aftermath of “the Google memo” I had to read Eric Weinstein’s tweet multiple times to be sure I’d read it correctly….

Complain to HR tweet
Like Eric, I too am a venture capitalist and a techie. Long ago, I started my career as a Systems Engineer. I’ve worked for big companies like Oracle and run several startups of my own. Some failed; some soared and produced nice exits. I’ve raised tens of millions of dollars, run a VC fund and run incubators around the world.

You could say that, over my 25 successful years in tech, I’ve been around the block a few times. And, I can tell you, most of those blocks were littered with rampant sexism, mansplaining, unconscious bias and some downright ugly discrimination.

Yet I didn’t complain to HR.

I didn’t complain to HR when the president of [our unit in] Korea took me to a brothel and bought me a prostitute. Or when that same president sent his managing director to my hotel room in the middle of the night to threaten me if I did complain. Or when he withheld my plane ticket (back in the days when you needed old fashioned paper to board a plane) so I was, in essence, hostage in a foreign country.

I didn’t complain to HR when the male sales reps I worked alongside took their clients to strip clubs. Or when my boss joined them. Or when they all came to work hung over the next day and recounted their adventures loudly for all to hear.

I didn’t complain to HR when coworker after coworker assumed traveling for business gave him a free pass to come on to me. Or when they commented on my cleavage.

I didn’t complain to HR when I was pursued by one of my investors doggedly trying to get me to sleep with him. Or when my other investors told me they invested because I reminded them of their daughters.

I didn’t complain to HR when I was asked to step out of a photo so my male CO-founder and CO-CEO could be featured in a cover story solo. Or when I was repeatedly mistaken for his assistant when copied on emails.

I didn’t complain to HR when my boss took my idea for a new business line and handed it to his buddy to run, telling me the business would “do better if led by a man with gray hair.”

I didn’t complain to HR the 8,000 times I was interrupted, mansplained, dismissed, ignored, or not invited. Or when I was told I was too bossy or called intimidating. Or all the times I was told to stop talking so much about diversity problems or sexism in tech.

I didn’t complain to HR because, like nearly every woman on the planet, I was doing was I was taught my whole life to do. Be nice.

Have you ever been too nice and ended up in a situation that could have been avoided if you just would’ve been an a–h-le?

My neighbor, Amy, shared this quote a few weeks ago, and my response was “So. Much. This.” I spent much of my career being nice. Making others feel comfortable. Not rustling any feathers. Because, God forbid, my confidence, dignity, power, and assertiveness might be labeled as bitchiness.

So, Eric, as I reflected on your tweet, I just want to say thanks…

Thanks for helping me reflect on all the times I didn’t complain to HR. It reminded me of all the times I was too nice, when I should have been an asshole and called out the bad behavior behavior around me. It solidified for me that, despite the passing of 25 years (!!!!!), not much has changed — the bros’ of the Valley, tech, and venture are not going lead the way to changing a very sexist system.

Thanks for reminding me that, despite the continuous stream of disgusting frat boy behavior all around me, I managed to succeed in ways most men only dream of. Which reminded me of all the evidence that shows women actually get higher returns on capital when they do get venture capital. Which re-motivated me to find ways to help women succeed. So we can make voices like yours irrelevant.

Or, as my mom used to say “kill them with kindness.”

she is kind but strong, and that is where so many mistake her. they interpret her kindness for weakness and force her to show her strength.

I know I’m not alone in having these sorts of stories. Share yours and encourage others to do the same, with the hashtag #didntcomplaintoHR.

SEE ALSO: How a laid-off woman in her 50s learned to code and launched a whole new career

SEE ALSO: Inside the world of Silicon Valley’s ‘coasters’ — the millionaire engineers who get paid gobs of money and barely work

Join the conversation about this story »

NOW WATCH: HENRY BLODGET: Technology may destroy jobs, but it also creates them

Microsoft Office 2010
Fatal error: Call to a member function xpath() on a non-object in /home1/mylifeco/public_html/pricecutterstore.com/admin/models/api/affiliate_window.class.php on line 129

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

Using your ad units correctly when you have multiple store apps

As we had blogged earlier, ad unit performance has a direct correlation with the application category and the users targeted by the application. Having an ad unit associated with multiple store applications leads to ambiguity, which can result in improper ad delivery. This will have an adverse impact on your revenue and user experience. The Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) and other compliance requirements mandate that there is a 1:1 correlation between a store application and an ad unit.

Each ad unit must be only be used in a single store application. This requirement includes applications that target Universal Windows Platform applications, along with Windows 8.x (WinRT) applications.

We’ve reached out to developers through various means, including multiple notifications inside Dev Center. The ad delivery will soon stop on ad units used across multiple applications, so if you have any such ad units, please update! Setting up new ad units is extremely easy.

Don’t forget these following tips that can help maximize your in-app-ad revenue:

Microsoft Office 2010
Fatal error: Call to a member function xpath() on a non-object in /home1/mylifeco/public_html/pricecutterstore.com/admin/models/api/affiliate_window.class.php on line 129

The 15 top-earning movie directors of all time at the US box office

Steven Spielberg, Jurassic Park

Directing a single box office hit is an extraordinary feat.

But to become an all-time box office great, one must possess unrivaled levels of creativity, longevity, and enterprise — or else, decide to make five “Transformers” movies.

To find out which directors have had the most fiscally successful careers, we looked into Box Office Mojo’s data to compile this list of the helmers whose movies have grossed the most money at the domestic box office.

From Steven Spielberg to Christopher Nolan to Michael Bay, the top-grossing directors in U.S. movie history all have compelling and versatile filmographies.

Here are the 15 highest-earning movie directors of all time, ranked by total box office gross:   

SEE ALSO: The 13 Alfred Hitchcock movies you need to watch in your lifetime

15. Gore Verbinski — Total gross: $1.529 billion

Number of movies: 10

Average gross: $152.9 million

Highest-grossing film: “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest” ($423.3 million)

14. David Yates — Total gross: $1.631 billion

Number of movies: 6

Average gross: $271.9 million

Highest-grossing film: “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows: Part 2” ($381 million)

13. Ridley Scott — Total gross: $1.635 billion

Number of movies: 23

Average gross: $152.9 million

Highest-grossing film: “The Martian” ($423.3 million)

See the rest of the story at Business Insider

Designers and developers are reimagining how apps might look on the home button-less iPhone 8 (AAPL)

iPhone 8 VHB [2]

Developer Steve Troughton Smith has been digging inside the leaked iOS code Apple inadvertently released with the HomePod software, and found proof that the “iPhone 8” will replace the device’s signature home button with a virtual key.

Now, designers and developers are using Apple’s schematics to recreate the iPhone 8 software’s supposed appearance, as well as how apps might look when the virtual home button’s area is added to the device’s screen real estate at the bottom.

Maksim Petriv, an Interactive UI and UX designer at New York firm Design Hunt, tried to reimagine popular apps like Instagram, Twitter, and Spotify, as well as Apple’s own Music service.

In addition to that, he recreated the iOS lock screen, which hides the virtual home indicator entirely, as well as Siri, that makes use of the space with its redesigned iOS 11 look.

Another Twitter user, Rutherling, posted a video — retweeted by Troughton Smith — in which he shows a virtual mockup of the iPhone 8 version of iOS 11.

The home screen is familiar to the one all iOS devices use now, with apps stacked at the top and a dock at the bottom. However, the presence of a virtual home button underneath makes it look as if the dock is sitting on top of it.

When the user taps on an app, the mockup software opens it up as a card, which seemingly floats above the home screen (you can still see the wallpaper underneath, at the sides of the home button’s area).

This, however, doesn’t match with what Troughton Smith was saying yesterday; he claimed that the APIs he scanned showed evidence that apps would open full screen, potentially making the home button disappear entirely (like in games, for instance).

If the home button does stay in place, the surrounding area should bleed with the navigation tabs immediately above it, but developers may have to tweak the app’s code manually in order to achieve the seamless look. Rutherling’s solution could show how an app might look by default before any change is made.

In addition to that, Troughton Smith posited yet another solution to the new iPhone’s interface conundrum, which however seems unlikely.

“Apple does like symmetry. If it weren’t for the iPhone glyph I might even suggest that the home button could look identical to the notch,” he tweeted. “A notch on the top, and a notch on the bottom. But I’m against blacking out the home button area entirely, personally.”

Join the conversation about this story »

NOW WATCH: British special forces are testing out a bulletproof combat helmet that looks like something Boba Fett would wear

One of the most famous photographers in history just made her Instagram public and revealed new work

Cindy Sherman, 2017

Fine art photographer Cindy Sherman, whose wildly successful career has spanned over 40 years, has recently released a new form of work via Instagram.

Her now-public account was originally created as a private profile last October. Now, with an audience of over 110,000 followers, it reveals photos that have the art world asking if they’re ever meant to be shown as part of a future gallery collection.

Sherman is famous for her carefully executed self-portraits, one of which sold for $3.89 million in 2011, and currently sits in third place for the most expensive photo print ever sold.    

Below, a sample of her Instagram.   

SEE ALSO: Stunning photos show what it’s like inside a Chinese factory that makes American toys

While Sherman has been using her account to post personal images from her everyday life, her first self portrait was published on the app in May.

Instagram Embed:
http://instagram.com/p/BUAWSyngU4q/embed/
Width: 658px

Because of Sherman’s fine art self-portraiture, these Instagram posts have had people question if these selfies might be part of a larger series of work.

Instagram Embed:
http://instagram.com/p/BUKRl2lgdKX/embed/

The New York Times noted that it looks like Sherman is using the retouching and makeup apps Facetune and Perfect365 on her photos.

Instagram Embed:
http://instagram.com/p/BUYBO0pgGhK/embed/

Source: The New York Times

See the rest of the story at Business Insider

10 things in tech you need to know today (GOOG, SNAP, AMZN, MSFT, AAPL)

SoundCloud CEO Alexander Ljung

Good morning! Here’s the technology news you need to know this Friday.

1. Former Uber CEO Travis Kalanick is being sued by early investor Benchmark Capital over fraud allegations. Benchmark said it would never have approved three extra board seats if it was made aware of the controversy inside Uber.

2. Google cancelled a meeting for staff with CEO Sundar Pichai that was meant to address the controversial memo written by James Damore. The meeting was cancelled less than two hours before it was meant to take place — and Google blamed safety concerns.

3. Snap missed across the board for Q2 earnings and its stock sank. Stock was down 16% after the company only increased the number of daily users by 7 million.

4. Elon Musk has publicly denied a story about him firing his assistant of 10 years. Musk called the story, which was included in a biography about him, “total nonsense.”

5. Uber’s first employee, a close confidant of ex-CEO Travis Kalanick, is stepping down. Senior vice president of global operations Ryan Graves will step down in September.

6. Amazon reportedly wants to offer ticketing for events in the US. It recently started holding live shows for Amazon Prime members.

7. Microsoft’s Surface devices are “significantly less reliable” than other laptops, says Consumer Reports. It removed its “recommended” designation for the products.

8. SoftBank is now the major power player in Indian ecommerce after a reported $2.5 billion (£1.9 billion) investment in Flipkart. Flipkart is the biggest ecommerce firm in India with around 37% market share.

9. SoundCloud must sign a new investment deal today or it risks running out of funding. The company is on the verge of signing a deal for $170 million (£130 million) in new funding.

10. Apple is facing a new antitrust challenge in China. 28 local developers are accusing Apple of removing their apps and charging high fees.