Category Archives: Microsoft Office 365

Which laptop is better?

I need a laptop which would last me at least 3 years and be at least have a 16 inch screen. It should be good for gaming (not extreme gaming) and under $1300. I have found 2 laptops.

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=50004&vpn=N61JQ-A1&manufacture=ASUS

* The new Intel Core i7-720 processor with Turbo Boost Technology for smart multitasking performance that adapts to your needs
* Vivid 16-inch HD LED-backlit widescreen for an immersive cinematic experience
* ASUS Discrete Graphics Engine (DGE) powered by ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 graphics with 1GB VRAM and DirectX 11 support for the latest gaming and multimedia enjoyment
* Altec Lansing speakers enhanced with SRS Premium Sound produce crisp, clear audio reproduction
* ASUS Sonic Master design for more detailed and richer sound quality
* 500GB 7200RPM hard drive for fast, convenient storage and access to all your documents, music, videos, and photos
* 4GB of DDR3 RAM brings increased performance with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit pre-installed
* Multi-touch trackpad lets you intuitively navigate through web pages, documents, and pictures
* Chiclet keyboard with numeric keypad for increased typing precision
* HDMI output for easy HD video and audio connectivity to your HDTV or LCD monitors with HDMI input
* USB 3.0 Superspeed connectivity for up to 10x faster transfer speed than USB 2.0

* High-speed wireless N networking (802.11 b/g/n @ 2.4GHz) with Bluetooth v2.1 + EDR
* Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit for a faster and more reliable operating system
* ASUS Infusion Technology for scratch-resistant protection
* 2.0 megapixel webcam for video chatting with friends and family
* 2 year global warranty and 1 year Accidental Damage Warranty*

Or Dell
ProcessorIntel® Core™ i7-720QM Quad Core Processor 1.6GHz (2.8GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)
Operating SystemGenuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
Office SoftwareMicrosoft® Office Starter 2010
Security SoftwareMcAfee SecurityCenter, 15-Months
LCD Display17.3” HD+ (900p) Bright LED Display with TrueLife™ and Camera
Memory4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz
Hard Drive500GB SATA HDD (7200rpm)
Graphics Card1GB ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 560v + TV Tuner
Optical Drive8X Slot Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
Battery Options85 Whr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell)
Wireless CardDell 1501 Wireless-N
BluetoothDell Wireless 365 Bluetooth Internal (2.1)
KeyboardStandard Keyboard
Sound OptionsHigh Definition Audio 2.0
The price for the Asus is 1,149 and the dell is 1199

In terms of reliability ONLY, Asus is better than Dell:
http://lifehacker.com/5524704/laptop+reliability-study-highlights-

Microsoft Office 2010
Polycom Cx5000 Unified Conference Station For Microsoft Lync (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$4300.00

Buy Now

Microsoft Surface (32gb) (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$539.95

Buy Now

+ 11 others available from Amazon
Microsoft Office Home & Business 2010 - 2pc/1user (one Desktop And One Portable) (disc Version) (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$278.00

Buy Now
Microsoft Software Office Home And Business 2010 English Pc Attach Key Product Key Card For 1pc (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$219.69

Buy Now
Microsoft Office Home & Student 2010 - 3pc/1user (disc Version) (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$179.99

Buy Now
Microsoft Office Home & Business 2010 Product Key Card- 1pc/1user [download] (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$150.09

Buy Now
Go! With Microsoft Office 2010, Vol. 1, And Student Videos (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$128.49

Buy Now

Microsoft Office Home & Student 2010 - 3pc/1user [download] (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$124.99

Buy Now
Microsoft Office Home & Student 2010 Product Key Card- 1pc/1user [download] (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$99.99

Buy Now
New Perspectives On Microsoft Office 2010, First Course (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$87.20

Buy Now

Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Desktop 7000 (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$81.78

Buy Now

Microsoft Office 2010: Introductory (shelly Cashman Series(r) Office 2010) (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$69.49

Buy Now

Microsoft unveils Office 365 cloud platform | Applications – InfoWorld

Microsoft unveils Office 365 cloud platform
The new offering features Office, SharePoint Online, Exchange Online, and Lync Online as a bundled, hosted package
By Paul Krill | InfoWorld

Microsoft, with its Microsoft Office 365 hosted applications announced Tuesday, is offering Office, SharePoint Online, Exchange Online, and Lync Online as an “always-up-to-date” cloud service. Office 365, the company said, makes it easier for organizations to use the company's solutions via cloud computing. Users can work together more easily from anywhere on virtually any device, including smartphones, Microsoft said. [ Microsoft's Lync Server 2010 communications server is a real step forward, InfoWorld columnist J. Peter Bruzzese said last week. | Keep up with the latest apps news with InfoWorld's Technology: Applications newsletter. ] Although Microsoft previously has offered cloud services, such as its Business Productivity Online Suite and Office Live Small Business, Office 365 represents a new approach to cloud applications because it brings together Office desktop software and Office Web Apps to Microsoft business cloud services for the first time, a Microsoft representative said. It also features more complete versions of Exchange, SharePoint, and Lync and a new platform with single sign-in, federated identity, and scripting. “[Office 365 is] including the Office apps as part of their cloud offerings. They didn't do that before,” said analyst Jeff Mann of Gartner. Enterprises might be interested because they can access Microsoft's applications via a cloud, which is easier and potentially cheaper, Mann said. A Microsoft executive emphasized that Office 365 represents change as well as opportunities. “Office 365 is one of the most transformative moves we've made with Office. We've taken the best of everything we know about productivity, and we're delivering it all in one cloud service. This resets the bar for what people will expect of productivity applications in the cloud,” said Microsoft's Kurt DelBene, president of the Microsoft Office Division, in an interview released by the company. “No longer is Office only a rich client that connects to servers; it is part of the services offering that we manage for customers. This will change our ongoing relationship with customers across all points of engagement, including product testing, the sales cycle, product deployment and customer support,” DelBene continued. “Office 365 is an opportunity for us to explore new possibilities. We can reach customers who don't have the IT resources to manage enterprise-class software. And, we can help customers stay up to date with the latest versions of our products. The impact of Office 365 will be far-reaching, because we can bring enterprise-class applications to everyone,” he said. Microsoft is offering Office 365 for enterprises and small businesses. It will be available worldwide next year, and it will be expanded to include Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online later in 2011. For enterprises, Office 365 offers choices for midsize and large businesses and government organizations, with prices starting at $2 per month for basic email. Enterprises also have the option to get Microsoft Office Professional Plus desktop software on a pay-as-you-go basis. Small businesses can get an external website and access Office Web Apps, Exchange Online, SharePoint Online, and Lync Online for $6 per month. This article, “Microsoft unveils Office 365 cloud platform,” was originally published at InfoWorld.com. Follow the latest developments in business technology news and get a digest of the key stories each day in the InfoWorld Daily newsletter.Read more about applications in InfoWorld's Applications Channel.
Paul Krill is an editor at large at InfoWorld, focusing on coverage of application development (desktop and mobile) and core Web technologies such as HTML5, Java, and Flash.

Tags:
collaboration software, saas, office software, Microsoft Office

Servicing the Office Cloud http://community.office365cloudsupport.comMicrosoft Office 2010

Polycom Cx5000 Unified Conference Station For Microsoft Lync (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$4300.00

Buy Now

Microsoft Surface (32gb) (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$539.95

Buy Now

+ 11 others available from Amazon
Microsoft Office Home & Business 2010 - 2pc/1user (one Desktop And One Portable) (disc Version) (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$278.00

Buy Now
Microsoft Software Office Home And Business 2010 English Pc Attach Key Product Key Card For 1pc (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$219.69

Buy Now
Microsoft Office Home & Student 2010 - 3pc/1user (disc Version) (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$179.99

Buy Now
Microsoft Office Home & Business 2010 Product Key Card- 1pc/1user [download] (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$150.09

Buy Now
Go! With Microsoft Office 2010, Vol. 1, And Student Videos (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$128.49

Buy Now

Microsoft Office Home & Student 2010 - 3pc/1user [download] (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$124.99

Buy Now
Microsoft Office Home & Student 2010 Product Key Card- 1pc/1user [download] (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$99.99

Buy Now
New Perspectives On Microsoft Office 2010, First Course (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$87.20

Buy Now

Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Desktop 7000 (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$81.78

Buy Now

Microsoft Office 2010: Introductory (shelly Cashman Series(r) Office 2010) (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$69.49

Buy Now

Technorati Tags: , ,

Please tell me which laptop is right for me?

okay, im in highschool and would like to buy a laptop. I dont want to spend that much and the three that I will show you are all within the same price range. I’ll be listening to music alot and on the internet alot, ill prolly also be running photoshop and limewire and some other stuff. I would like to have limewire open or something and not have the performance of the laptop hinderd while using other programs.
Here they are: Toshiba Satellite L300-ST2501:—–
Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T6400 (2.00GHz, 2MB L2, 800MHz FSB)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic (SP1, 32-bit version)
Microsoft® Office 2007 Suite Ready
2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz SDRAM (2048MBx1)
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
250GB HDD (5400rpm, Serial-ATA)
DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) drive
Intel® WiFi Link 5100AGN (1×2)
Lithium Ion battery (6-Cell, 4000mAh)

HP G60t:—
Operating system Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic with Service Pack 1 (32-bit) edit
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor T6400 (2.0GHz)
3GB DDR2 250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Graphics card Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
Core 2 Duo Processors
Display 16.0" diagonal High Definition HP Brightview Display (1366×768)
Primary DVD/CD drive SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
Personalization Microphone + Webcam
Networking Wireless-G Card edit
Primary battery 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Productivity software Microsoft(R) Works 9.0

Dell Inspiron 15:——-
Intel® Pentium® Dual Core T4200 (2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB/1MB cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic Edition SP1
Jet Black
Microsoft Works
1 Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis
Glossy, widescreen 15.6 inch display (1366×768)
3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz
250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD
8X CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
Intel WiFi Link 5100 802.11 Wireless-N Mini Card
Dell Wireless 365 Bluetooth Internal (2.1)
No Webcam Option
6-cell battery
High Definition Audio 2.0
Ignore what I said about the Dell- I customized it like this—

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T6400 (2.00GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic Edition SP1
Jet Black
Microsoft Works
1 Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis
Glossy, widescreen 15.6 inch display (1366×768)
3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz
250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD
8X CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
Intel WiFi Link 5100 802.11 Wireless-N Mini Card
Dell Wireless 365 Bluetooth Internal (2.1)
Integrated 1.3 MP Webcam
6-cell battery
High Definition Audio 2.0

In case it matters, Toshiba is 580$, Hp- 550$, Dell- 554$

All of them have similar performance, but the Dell and HP are a little bit faster than the Toshiba (3gb vs 2gb of ram). Other than that, you won’t see much difference between the three.

what do you think of this laptop?

Base: Intel® Core™ i5-450M (2.4Ghz, 4 Threads, turbo boost up to 2.66 GHz, 3M cache)
Memory: 4096MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2×2048]
Video Card: 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD5470 Graphics Card
Hard Drive: 500GB (5400RPM) Serial ATA Hard Drive
Microsoft Operating System: Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit- English
Optical Devices: DVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD) with DVD Burn software
Wireless Networking:Dell Wireless 1520 Half Mini Card (802.11n)
Bluetooth:Dell Wireless 365 Bluetooth Module – European
Primary Battery: Primary 9-cell 85 WHr Lithium Ion battery
Camera: 2.0 Mega pixel Integrated Web Camera
LCD:15.6in Widescreen Full High Definition (1920 x 1080) WLED with TrueLife
Microsoft Application Software: Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Word Starter, Excel Starter)
Biometric Identification: Facial recognition software

total cost £732.60

It’s a pretty good laptop.

Vaio F series vs Dell Studio 17?

I will be doing HD video editing and some gaming
Here are the specs
DELL STUDIO
ProcessorIntel® Core™ i7-720QM Quad Core Processor 1.6GHz (2.8GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)
Memory6GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz
Built-in Keyboard OptionsBack-lit Keyboard
LCD Panel17.3” HD+ (900p) Bright LED Display with TrueLife™ and Camera
Video Card1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650
Hard Drive500GB SATA HDD (7200rpm)
System ColorRuby Red
Adobe Reader SoftwareAdobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0
Combo or DVD+RW Drive8X Slot Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
Sound CardSoundblaster X-Fi Hi Def Audio – Software Enabled
Wireless Networking CardsIntel© Centrino© Advanced-N 6200
Touch SoftwareNo Touch Software
Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed)Microsoft® Office Starter 2010
Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed)McAfee SecurityCenter, 15-Months
Battery Options85 Whr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell)
Service2 Year Basic Service Plan
Service 1Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year
Mobile BroadbandNo Internal Mobile Broadband
Bluetooth OptionDell Wireless 365 Bluetooth Internal (2.1)

VAIO F

Intel® Core™ i7-720QM processor (1.60GHz) with Turbo Boost up to 2.80GHz 16.4" VAIO Display (1600×900) with NVIDIA® GeForce® 310M GPU (512MB VRAM) No Fresh Start Microsoft® Works No additional Photo Editing Software 4GB (4GBx1) DDR3-SDRAM-1333 CD/DVD burner Norton Internet Security™ 2010 (30 Day Trial) Keyboard Backlight Large Capacity Battery Gray No Engraving Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit 320GB Hard Disk Drive (7200rpm) (Reg. price $20.00)

PRICES
VAIO- $1,159.99
DELL- $1,364.99

(I’ll upgrade the ram on the vaio if i get it and put in a momentus-xt in the laptop.)
I don’t care about repair experience. I’ll fix it myself)
Oh, please keep this unbiased. Thanks 😀
I don’t care about your dvd software
Don’t spam my question

Sony F series are made for video editing (VAIO = Video Audio Integrated Operation) and general have a much higher screen quality. Personally I would upgrade the video card to have 1080p screen. Speaking from personal experience Sony has a much better quality and reliability than dell does.

Which computer should I buy?!?!?

I have the option to buy two laptops and I nerd one today.. The first is a slightly used HP dv 7 for $350 and the next is a brand new in box Dell for $500

specs on the Dell:
* Dell Studio Laptop with Intel® Core™ i5 Processor
* 9-cell prismatic battery
* AC power cable
* Software: Microsoft Works 9.0 and more
* Owner’s manual

Product Features

* Intel® Core™ i5-430M processor
Features a 3MB cache and 2.53GHz processor speed.
* The all new 2010 Intel® Core™ i5 processor
Features smart 4-way processing performance with a speed boost.
* Intel® Turbo Boost Technology
Delivers extra performance when you need it and increased energy efficiency when you don’t. Intel® HD Graphics provide extra graphics power for your laptop when you need it.
* 4GB DDR3 memory
For multitasking power.
* Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive
To create custom DVDs and CDs.
* 15.6" WLED high-definition widescreen display
With 1366 x 768 resolution showcases movies and games in stunning clarity.
* 500GB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)
Offers spacious storage and fast read/write times.
* Intel® HD graphics
For lush images. HDMI output for connection to an HDTV. Two built-in stereo speakers with SRS Premium Sound support.
* Intel® Wireless Display technology
Lets you wirelessly stream online media and personal content from the laptop to your HDTV through your home network, so you can enjoy Internet TV, videos, photos and more on your big screen.
* Built-in webcam
Makes it easy to chat with family and friends.
* 7-in-1 media reader
Supports Secure Digital, Secure Digital High Capacity, MultiMediaCard, MultiMediaCard Plus, xD-Picture Card, Memory Stick and Memory Stick PRO formats.
* 3 high-speed USB 2.0 ports
For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.
* Built-in Intel® 6200 wireless half mini card (802.11b/g/n)
Connects to the Internet without wires.
* Built-in Dell wireless 365 Bluetooth internal mini card
For linking with other Bluetooth-enabled devices, such as a mobile phone or MP3 player.
* Built-in 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN
For quick and easy wired Web connection.
* Weighs only 5.5 lbs. and measures just 1" thin
For easy portability.
* Long battery life
Of up to 6 hours and 3 minutes to give you more time away from an outlet.
* Backlit keyboard
For increased visibility in poor lighting conditions.
* Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system preinstalled
Provides a stable platform for word processing, Web navigation, gaming, media storage and more.
* Software package included
With Microsoft Works 9.0 and more. 60-day trial version of Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 included.

Specs on the HP
SPECS ON THE HP

CPU: AMD Turious II Ultra Dual-core Mobile M620 2.50 Ghz
Memory: 4.0 GB
HDD: 500GB
Display: 17 inch monitor.
Ports: 3 USB 2.0, 1 HDMI, 1 VGA, 1 LAN, 1 multi-card slot
disc drive: Blu-Ray drive, CD/DVD-R with Lightscribe capability.
Misc: bluetooth compatable, has volume controls and play/pause controls in sensor near power button. includes small remote device which allows controlvolume/playback/ect via IR

I got to say, the Dell deal is really good. May I ask where you got the Dell deal from? lol
The HP deal is also pretty good except that it’s been used. It’s up to you, but I’d get the Dell because I haven’t seen any Dell laptop with those specifications go for 500. Also, all the main components in the Dell are better than the HP. The i5 processor in the Dell beats the AMD dual core in the HP.
Another aspect to take into consideration is screen size. The HP is a 17 inch while the Dell is a 15 inch. Some people like a larger screen while others think a 17 inch is too large. That depends on what you’re going to do with the laptop. If you’re going to carry it around a lot, defintitely the 15 inch.

Microsoft’s Office 365 Prepping for June Launch – Cloud Computing – News & Reviews – eWeek.com

Microsoft’s Office 365 Prepping for June Launch

By: Nicholas Kolakowski
2011-06-06
Article Rating:starstarstarstarstar / 2
Share This Article

via www.eweek.com

“We’re pushing hard in the productivity space,” Ballmer told an audience during a May 26 speech in Delhi, India, according to a transcript released by Microsoft. “We’ll launch our Office 365 cloud service, which gives you Lync and Exchange and SharePoint and Office and more as a subscribable [sic] service that comes from the cloud. That launches in the month of June.”
Microsoft launched Office 365’s public beta in June. The platform links together Microsoft Office, SharePoint Online, Exchange Online and Lync Online, all for a starting price of $6 per user per month. Microsoft is also offering an Office 365 Marketplace with productivity apps and professional services. Office 365 is essentially a rebranding of the company’s BPOS (Business Productivity Online Suite), which bundled products such as SharePoint Online. http://community.office365cloudsupport.com

Technorati Tags: ,

should i get a dell xps 16 laptop for college?

I was looking at the studio 14 and the xps 16 by dell. They all come out to be near the same price 1200 range, when I add everything together to make them similar. The only thing that I like about the xps over the studio 14 is that it has the ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5730 while the 14 has the ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5450. The xps does weigh more and use more battery though. Plus I don’t know if 16inch is too big to carry around everywhere. Please give me some advice

Also the studio 14 only comes in 720p while the xps is 1080p. But this is for college and I don’t know if I am going to be sitting down watching movies 24/7 even though it looks and sounds nice.

xps
SYSTEM COLORArctic White High Gloss Finish with Leatheredit
Software & Services
PROCESSORIntel® Core™ i7-720QM Quad Core Processor 1.6GHz (2.8GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)edit
OPERATING SYSTEMGenuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, Englishedit
MEMORY4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHzedit
HARD DRIVE500GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Driveedit
INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE8X Slot Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)edit
HD DISPLAY15.6 FHD WLED Display in Alpine White with leather and 2.0 MP Webcamedit
BLUETOOTHDell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Module (2.1+EDR)edit
Personalize
WARRANTY AND SERVICE3 Year Basic Service Planedit
OFFICE SOFTWAREMicrosoft® Office Starter 2010edit
SECURITY SOFTWAREMcAfee SecurityCenter, 15-Monthsedit
DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUPDell Online Backup 30GB for 1 yearedit
My Accessories
ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
Studio XPS 16Studio XPS 16 Notebook
Network CardIntegrated 10/100 Network Card
Adobe ReaderAdobe® Acrobat® Reader 9, Multiple Languages
VIDEO CARDATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5730 – 1GB
WIRELESS CARDSIntel© Centrino© Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250
BATTERY OPTIONS85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
SOUND OPTIONSSoundblaster X-Fi Hi Def Audio – Software Enabled

studio 14

PROCESSORNEW 2010 Intel® Core™ i7-740QM Quad Core Processor, 1.73GHz (2.93GHz Turbo Mode, 6M Cache)edit
OPERATING SYSTEMGenuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, Englishedit
MEMORY4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHzedit
HARD DRIVE500GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)edit
BATTERY OPTIONS56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Batteryedit
VIDEO CARDATI Mobility Radeon HD 5450 1GBedit
WIRELESS CARDSIntel© Centrino© Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250edit
HD DISPLAY14.0” High Definition (720p) LED Display with TrueLife™ and Camera and Facial Recognitionedit
BLUETOOTHDell Wireless 365 Bluetooth Internal (2.1)edit
OPTICAL DRIVE8X Slot Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)edit
KEYBOARDBack-lit Keyboardedit
SOUND OPTIONSSoundblaster X-Fi Hi Def Audio – Software Enablededit
Personalize
WARRANTY AND SERVICE3 Year Basic Service Planedit
OFFICE SOFTWAREMicrosoft® Office Starter 2010edit
SECURITY SOFTWAREMcAfee SecurityCenter, 15-Monthsedit
DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUPDell Online Backup 2GB for 1 yearedit
My Accessories
ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
Adobe Reader SoftwareAdobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0
NetworkIntegrated 10/100 Network Card
PROCESSORStudio 14 Notebook

You can consider buying Toshiba Satellite A505-S6030 TruBrite 16.0-Inch Laptop (Black/Silver)
*2.8GHz Intel Core i7-720QM Processor
*4GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM Memory
*500GB Serial ATA Hard Disk Drive (5400RPM); DVD SuperMulti Drive with Labelflash
*16" CCFL (16:9) 1366×768 Display; NVIDIA GeForce 310M Graphics
*Window 7 Home Premium 64-bit
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satellite-A505-S6030-TruBrite-16-0-Inch/dp/B00313JXMO/?tag=top-gamer-20

Which laptop should i get?

im a student and want to be able to play the sims 3. i decided to get the microsoft office later. Can you let me know if one of these system would meet the requirements.

HP Pavilion dv7t customizable Notebook PC

black cherry
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-380M Dual Core Processor (2.53 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)
1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5650 switchable graphics [HDMI, VGA] – For Dual Core Processors
FREE Upgrade to 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
500GB 7200RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
No Additional Office Software
No additional security software
6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (standard) – Up to 5.0 hours of battery life +++
Standard Keyboard
17.3" diagonal HD+ High-Definition HP LED BrightView Widescreen Display (1600 x 900)
LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support
HP TrueVision Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone
802.11b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth(R)
HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

Insprion r15
SYSTEM COLOR Mars Black edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit edit
MEMORY & HARD DRIVE 4GB DDR3 Shared Dual Channel Memory + 500GB 5400RPM HDD edit

Dell Wireless 365 Internal Bluetooth (V2.1 + EDR)
SYSTEM Inspiron 15R
PROCESSOR New 2010 Intel® Core™ i3-370M (2.4GHz, 4Threads, 3M cache)
VIDEO CARD ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD550v, 64-Bit, 1GB, DDR3
BATTERY OPTIONS Lithium Ion Battery (6-Cell) – Up to 4 hours, 2 minutes of battery life*
DISPLAY 15.6" High Definition (720p) LED Display with TrueLife™
SOUND OPTIONS HD Audio 2.2 Support SRS™ Premium Sound
INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE 8X CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive) – w/ Roxio Burn 1.0
WIRELESS CARDS Dell Wireless DW1501, 802.11 g/n 1×1 Half Mini Card
INTEGRATED WEBCAM Integrated 1.3M Pixel Webcam
Network Card Integrated 10/100 Network Card
Adobe Reader Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0
ACCIDENT AND THEFT PROTECTION 1 year LoJack for Laptops Standard Theft Protection

The sims 3 req:
FOR WINDOWS XP
•2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
•1 GB RAM
•128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0
•The latest version of DirectX 9.0c
•Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
•At least 6.1 GB of hard drive space with at least 1 GB of additional space for custom content and saved games

FOR WINDOWS VISTA
•2.4 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
•1.5 GB RAM
•128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0
•Microsoft Windows Vista Service Pack 1
•At least 6.1 GB of hard drive space with at least 1 GB of additional space for custom content and saved games

For computers using built-in graphics chipsets under Windows, the game requires at least:
•Intel Integrated Chipset, GMA 3-Series or above
•2.6 GHz Pentium D CPU, or 1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo, or equivalent
•0.5 GB additional RAM
Windows Supported Video Cards
NVIDIA GeForce series
FX 5900, FX 5950
6200, 6500, 6600, 6800
7200, 7300, 7600, 7800, 7900, 7950
8400, 8500, 8600, 8800
9300, 9400, 9500, 9600, 9800
G100, GT 120, GT 130, GTS 150
GTS 250, GTX 260, GTX 280, GTX 285, GTX 295
ATI Radeon™ series
9500, 9600, 9800
X300, X600, X700, X800, X850
X1300, X1600, X1800, X1900, X1950
2400, 2600, 2900
3450, 3650, 3850, 3870
4850, 4870
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA)
GMA 3-Series, GMA 4-Series
Laptop versions of these chipsets may work, but may run comparatively slower. Standalone cards that are installed in vanilla PCI slots (not PCIe or PCIx or AGP), such as some GeForce FX variants, will perform poorly.
Integrated chipsets such as the ATI Xpress and the NVIDIA TurboCache variants may default to settings that are higher than what would be optimal for them. Graphics settings can be lowered to improve performance.

The first computer is simply great! You can play it on your pc no prob, i had a desktop with 1gb ram and it worked fine 🙂 You shouldn’t even have the black faces glitch! (i had that, i had to update nvidia drivers)

Which laptop for the School of Architecture at the University of Illinois at Chicago?

This is the schools website:

Laptop Computer Minimum Specifications

Processor: Intel Core i5 (2.40 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache) / Dual-Core AMD Operton
Memory (RAM): 2 GB RAM
Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Business (SP2 or higher), XP Professional (SP3 or higher), or 7 Professional / Apple OS/X 10.6.2

Suggested laptop computers:

Apple Computers
15" MacBook Pro
17" MacBook Pro

Lenovo
ThinkPad W701
ThinkPad W510

Hewlett-Packard
EliteBook 8740w
EliteBook 8540w

Dell
Precision M6500
Precision M4500

Right of the bat I don’t want to use a Mac, and Lenovo doesn’t sell the the 701 anymore. The screen on the Lenovo 510 is a 15" which I find too small.

I don’t know which laptop I should get from HP or Dell. Price does matter. The specs and prices of the laptops I found are listed below. I need a laptop that will last me my whole architecture education and that will perform very very very well for the next few years. I need some advice from any architects and soon to be architects please.

1. DELL PRECISION M6500

BASEDell – Precision M6500 Mobile Workstation

OPERATING SYSTEM – Genuine Windows® 7 Professional, 64-bit, no media

PROCESSOR – Intel® Core™ i7-740QM Quad Core 1.73GHz 6MB

OFFICE SOFTWARE – No Productivity Software

SERVICES & WARRANTY – 3 Year Basic Limited Warranty and 3 Year NBD On-Site Service

VIDEO CARD – 1.0GB NVIDIA® Quadro® FX 3800M Graphics

MEMORY – 4.0GB, DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM, 4 DIMMS

SECURITY SOFTWARET – rend Micro Worry-Free Business Security Services, 30-days

LCD17" Wide Screen WUXGA RGBLED LCD Panel w/ integrated camera and mic

RAID CONFIGURATIONAll – Hard Drives, Non-RAID, 1 or 2 drive total configuration

HARD DRIVE – 500GB 7200rpm Hard Drive with FFS

OPTICAL DRIVE – 8X DVD+/-RW tray Load w/Roxio and Cyberlink PowerDVD™, no media

WIRELESS CARD – Dell Wireless™ 1501 802.11b/g/n Half Mini Card

WIRELESS-PAN – Dell 365 Bluetooth 2.1 and Dell Ulta Wide Band 420

CONTACTLESS SMART CARD READER – No Contactless Smart Card Reader

MOBILE BROADBAND – No Mobile Broadband Selected

FINGERPRINT READER OPTION – No Fingerprint Reader

A/C ADAPTER – 210W/240W switchable Slim 3P A/C Adapter

Subtotal$3,107.00

2.HP Elitebook 8740w Mobile Workstation

Operating system – Genuine Windows® 7 Professional 64 bit

Software – Purchase Microsoft Office 2010 or a Product Key Card (PKC) to activate the full featured Office software – Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 included

Energy Efficiency – ENERGY STAR® qualified, EPEAT® Gold

Processor – Intel® Core™ i7-740QM Processor (1.73 GHz, 6 MB L3 Cache) Intel® vPro Technology Intel®

Chipset – Mobile Intel QM57 Chipset

Display – 17.0-inch diagonal WUXGA WVA anti-glare (1920 x 1200)

Integrated camera – Integrated 2 MP Webcam

Video/graphics – NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800M graphics with 1 GB dedicated GDDR3 video memory

Memory – 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 SDRAM (1D)

Internal Storage – 500 GB 7200 rpm 2.5-inch hard drive

Upgrade Bay – DVD+/-RW SuperMulti with Double Layer LightScribe Drive

Pointing Device – Dualpoint (touchpad plus pointstick) and Backlit spill-resistant keyboard with numeric keypad and drain

Wireless LAN – Intel Centrino® Ultimate-N 6300 (3×3)

HP Mobile Broadband – Built in HP Mobile Broadband not included

Bluetooth – HP Integrated Module with Bluetooth® Wireless Technology 2.1

Security TPM 1.2 Embedded Security Chip + HP Fingerprint Sensor

Battery – 8-Cell 73 Wh Li-Ion Battery

Warranty- Limited 3 year standard parts and labor warranty (3/3/3)

Subtotal $2,999.00

3. HP Elitebook 8740w Mobile Workstation

Exact one as above,but with 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 SDRAM (2D)

Subtotal $3,699.00

I don’t know what a SODIMM is, but #3 has one more than #2.

This is a huge investment and I will appreciate any help. Thank you!

All of our archys and most of the engineers use Macs.