All posts by admin

How can I use the Mac app "Mail" for my Outlook email account?

I have an account through Outlook Web Access through the Tacoma Community College website:

https://tcc.tacoma.ctc.edu/exchweb/bin/auth/owalogon.asp?url=https://tcc.tacoma.ctc.edu/exchange/&reason=1

I was wonder how (if possible) I could set up Mail (a Mac application) so that I check my email through it on that account.

Thanks!!!

Contact the College IT system admin, and ask for POP settings for your account, but I doubt they will do it .

They have set up this system as a protective measure, this way their mail servers are protected.

Good Luck

Microsoft Office 2010
Polycom Cx5000 Unified Conference Station For Microsoft Lync (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$4300.00

Buy Now

Microsoft Surface (32gb) (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$539.95

Buy Now

+ 11 others available from Amazon
Microsoft Office Home & Business 2010 - 2pc/1user (one Desktop And One Portable) (disc Version) (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$278.00

Buy Now
Microsoft Software Office Home And Business 2010 English Pc Attach Key Product Key Card For 1pc (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$219.69

Buy Now
Microsoft Office Home & Student 2010 - 3pc/1user (disc Version) (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$179.99

Buy Now
Microsoft Office Home & Business 2010 Product Key Card- 1pc/1user [download] (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$150.09

Buy Now
Go! With Microsoft Office 2010, Vol. 1, And Student Videos (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$128.49

Buy Now

Microsoft Office Home & Student 2010 - 3pc/1user [download] (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$124.99

Buy Now
Microsoft Office Home & Student 2010 Product Key Card- 1pc/1user [download] (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$99.99

Buy Now
New Perspectives On Microsoft Office 2010, First Course (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$87.20

Buy Now

Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Desktop 7000 (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$81.78

Buy Now

Microsoft Office 2010: Introductory (shelly Cashman Series(r) Office 2010) (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$69.49

Buy Now

what is microsoft exchange server?

can microsoft exchange basicly let you create you own mail thing. like let people have say jame@xyz.com letting you change xyz into anything, so like it lets you create an online email service?

It’s basically an e-mail server (but it can do quite a bit more than just e-mail).

From the wiki:

Microsoft Exchange Server is a messaging and collaborative software product developed by Microsoft. It is part of the Microsoft Servers line of server products and is widely used by enterprises using Microsoft infrastructure solutions. Exchange’s major features consist of electronic mail, calendaring, contacts and tasks, and support for the mobile and web-based access to information, as well as supporting data storage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Exchange_Server

To use Exchange, you first need a domain (like xyz.com, and no you can’t change it with Exchange, the domain(s) you own are the ones you can use with it) and you also need an Active Directory network (Enterprise network).

Microsoft Office 2010
Polycom Cx5000 Unified Conference Station For Microsoft Lync (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$4300.00

Buy Now

Microsoft Surface (32gb) (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$539.95

Buy Now

+ 11 others available from Amazon
Microsoft Office Home & Business 2010 - 2pc/1user (one Desktop And One Portable) (disc Version) (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$278.00

Buy Now
Microsoft Software Office Home And Business 2010 English Pc Attach Key Product Key Card For 1pc (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$219.69

Buy Now
Microsoft Office Home & Student 2010 - 3pc/1user (disc Version) (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$179.99

Buy Now
Microsoft Office Home & Business 2010 Product Key Card- 1pc/1user [download] (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$150.09

Buy Now
Go! With Microsoft Office 2010, Vol. 1, And Student Videos (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$128.49

Buy Now

Microsoft Office Home & Student 2010 - 3pc/1user [download] (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$124.99

Buy Now
Microsoft Office Home & Student 2010 Product Key Card- 1pc/1user [download] (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$99.99

Buy Now
New Perspectives On Microsoft Office 2010, First Course (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$87.20

Buy Now

Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Desktop 7000 (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$81.78

Buy Now

Microsoft Office 2010: Introductory (shelly Cashman Series(r) Office 2010) (Amazon) Amazon Logo

$69.49

Buy Now

Can’t create new file on skydrive?

I want to try out this skydrive web apps that Microsoft just released but I can’t see the "New Word document" or something like that under the "Office" drop down menu on my windows live account. I’ve tried it on IE8 and still can’t see it.

I don’t have MS Office program installed on my computer but is that the problem? I thought that web apps are free stuff to compete against google docs.

Did you follow the steps below:

– Open to ‘www.live.com’ in the internet explorer (e.g. IE 8)
– Login to live.com using your passport account (hotmail, live, msn etc. account)
– Once logged in you can see the option ‘SkyDrive’ in the top menus (it should appear after ‘Home’)
– To access online office storage (other than from web), you need to have ‘Microsoft Office Live Add-in’ installed on your computer or MS Office 2007.

Labour Department study finds working contributes greatly to productivity?

Department of Labor studies found "working"—the physical act of engaging in a productive job-related activity—may greatly increase the amount of work accomplished during the workday, compared with more common practices of wasting time/not working or general "farcking about".
Depy Undersecretary of Labor Charlotte Ponticelli, authored the report; "In fact, ‘working’ may revolutionize the way people work."

"Farcking around is in fact detrimental to the work process," the study reads in part.

Jon Halper, a Baltimore-area small-business owner, claims that people used to laugh whenever he told them that the key to worker productivity was not checking friends’ MySpace pages for hours at a time, but rather working

Results indicate working is 100 percent more productive than:
listening to music
checking e-mails,
productive than meandering around the office socializing with coworkers
playing online Sudoku
watching YouTube lame videos
chatting with friends on Instant Messenger, napping,
but only 94.2% more productive than not attending work.

Despite these new findings, many American workers say that they still do not feel comfortable working on the job.
Similar controversial UK studies by the LSE arguing that pub liquid lunches may not increase concentration, productivity, attention to detail, innovative creative though and general attractiveness to the opposite sex have been rejected outright by Government and Oxford University as woefully under-researched and faddish.

Wow, what a great study. How much $ did that waste?

File Collaboration between 2 Windows XP Computers.?

I have 2 Win XP Professional PCs in my office. Let’s call them PC-A & PC-B.

PC-A has a directory that contains lots of Excel files. This directory is shared via windows file sharing. The problem occurs is that when PC-A & PC-B opens the same file at the same time, to make changes, the earlier updates will be lost.

For example When PC-A opens FileX and PC-B opens File-X too. PC-A now updates FileX and PC-B updates FileX too. PC-A saves the file followed by PC-B. The updates by PC-A will be lost.

How do I solve this? What I am looking for is probably a locking mechanism such that when PC-A opens the file, it will be locked & access to that file is denied.

Do suggest any other alternatives if there is a better(and hopefully cheap) solution to this problem or windows file sharing. As both PCs are used by non-IT guys, I’m looking for a easy to use solution.

Both PCs are on the same LAN.
Thank you. =)
Sorry to leave this out:
The use of Excel is a must as it contains all 3yrs worth of macros + the billing document send by my clients are all in excel.

So I’m kind of looking for a additional software/setup instead of switching excel.

Sorry that i left this out.

can you use access instead of excel – access does not have this problem – access is designed to be shared – excel isn’t

a way around this is to host excel on a webpage but probably moving to access is easier

I Need To Make 365 Copies.. But I Don’t Know The Cost.?

I am making a health binder to track my eating, physical activity and general health for this new year as part of my resolution. I am thinking about taking it to Office Depot or some such place. Can anyone tell me how much it would cost to make 365 copies at Office Depot or some other place? Thanks!

I don’t know of any place under 5 cents a copy.

If I were you, I would keep the records on computer; no extra cost and you always know where the log book is

Which laptop is better?

I need a laptop which would last me at least 3 years and be at least have a 16 inch screen. It should be good for gaming (not extreme gaming) and under $1300. I have found 2 laptops.

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=50004&vpn=N61JQ-A1&manufacture=ASUS

* The new Intel Core i7-720 processor with Turbo Boost Technology for smart multitasking performance that adapts to your needs
* Vivid 16-inch HD LED-backlit widescreen for an immersive cinematic experience
* ASUS Discrete Graphics Engine (DGE) powered by ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 graphics with 1GB VRAM and DirectX 11 support for the latest gaming and multimedia enjoyment
* Altec Lansing speakers enhanced with SRS Premium Sound produce crisp, clear audio reproduction
* ASUS Sonic Master design for more detailed and richer sound quality
* 500GB 7200RPM hard drive for fast, convenient storage and access to all your documents, music, videos, and photos
* 4GB of DDR3 RAM brings increased performance with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit pre-installed
* Multi-touch trackpad lets you intuitively navigate through web pages, documents, and pictures
* Chiclet keyboard with numeric keypad for increased typing precision
* HDMI output for easy HD video and audio connectivity to your HDTV or LCD monitors with HDMI input
* USB 3.0 Superspeed connectivity for up to 10x faster transfer speed than USB 2.0
* High-speed wireless N networking (802.11 b/g/n @ 2.4GHz) with Bluetooth v2.1 + EDR
* Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit for a faster and more reliable operating system
* ASUS Infusion Technology for scratch-resistant protection
* 2.0 megapixel webcam for video chatting with friends and family
* 2 year global warranty and 1 year Accidental Damage Warranty*

Or Dell
ProcessorIntel® Core™ i7-720QM Quad Core Processor 1.6GHz (2.8GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)
Operating SystemGenuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
Office SoftwareMicrosoft® Office Starter 2010
Security SoftwareMcAfee SecurityCenter, 15-Months
LCD Display17.3” HD+ (900p) Bright LED Display with TrueLife™ and Camera
Memory4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz
Hard Drive500GB SATA HDD (7200rpm)
Graphics Card1GB ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 560v + TV Tuner
Optical Drive8X Slot Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
Battery Options85 Whr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell)
Wireless CardDell 1501 Wireless-N
BluetoothDell Wireless 365 Bluetooth Internal (2.1)
KeyboardStandard Keyboard
Sound OptionsHigh Definition Audio 2.0
The price for the Asus is 1,149 and the dell is 1199

In terms of reliability ONLY, Asus is better than Dell:
http://lifehacker.com/5524704/laptop+reliability-study-highlights-

How to export Open Office Writer to email that has Microsoft Word?

Trying to send my brochure I made on Open Office Writer to my own email so I can go to the library and print it out. Any help?

The first answer is Plan A, and must be done for each document.

PLAN B:

Here’s how to configure Open Office 3 to be fully compatible, when opening, editing and viewing, MS-Office files, all the time:

PLAN C:

Open, and save your brochure as a PDF file, using the gray and red PDF Icon to the left of the Printer Icon, above. Then, it can be viewed and printed using Adobe Reader, by anyone. This also works every time.

How do you set up an outlook account on the iphone email app?

I am trying to set up the windows outlook email account on the iphone email app. Any idea how to do this? what is the outgoing/incoming host name and web address? What is considered the username?

The outgoing and incoming host names are likely to be the SMTP and POP servers. In Outlook (depending on the version), you would go to TOOLS and EMAIL ACCOUNTS, then highlight the account, and click properties or change. It should show you incoming and outgoing servers. The username is probably your email address, but might just be the name before the ‘@’ symbol (but it should be the same as the username in the Outlook settings). I am not sure what it is looking for when you say web address.

Easy way to do this is to open Outlook to the email accounts page I mentioned above and then call either AT&T Wireless tech support or Apple (I don’t know who supports them, whether it’s Cingular/AT&T or if it’s Apple). Tell them what you’re trying to do, that you have all your settings from Outlook in front of you, and that you just need to be walked thru it.

How do I set up an email account on my iPod Touch?

I have my gmail account set up, which was easy. But my school account (which is Microsoft Outlook Online/Microsoft Exchange) keeps giving me problems. Any suggestions?

You can’t